DIY with Eucalyptus Spearmint Soap
Energizing Body Lotion with Spearmint and Eucalyptus
There’s nothing better than a great lotion. With the right texture and scent, you instantly feel better when you put it on. Your skin becomes smoother, the fragrance stimulates your senses, and you feel like you can take on the world.
One of the best scents for body lotion is mint. Mint invigorates your mind and is also packed with Vitamin A to help repair skin cells. Then there’s eucalyptus essential oil. This stuff is so relaxing and is loaded with benefits. It can help heal irritated and dry skin while adding a nice cooling effect. The combination of these two oils is so amazing for you skin, and maybe even more amazing for your nose. The smell with both relax you and make you feel energized. That’s why this lotion is perfect for using each morning- it’ll give you the clear state of mind to go and tackle the day.
After perusing many lotion/body butter recipes, we’ve come up with a great and simple one, inspired by Food for My Family and Mama Dweeb. If you are an experienced at-home lotion maker, you may want to opt for a more complex recipe that uses an emulsifying wax and even a natural preservative. Play around with these recipes until you get the right texture and scent balance. We suggest starting with a smaller amount of essential oil and adding more until you get the desired fragrance strength.
What you need for your lotion:
- ½ cup coconut oil
- About 1 ½ to 1 ¾ cups natural moisturizing butter (you can use all one type of butter or mix two together, e.g. 1 ½ cup cocoa butter or ¾ cup cocoa butter and ¾ cup Shea butter)
- 4-5 tablespoons carrier oil of choice for essential oils (some suggestions are: castor oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, or grapeseed oil)
- Spearmint and Eucalyptus essential oils
How to mix the lotion:
- Add the the coconut oil and butter of your choice to a double boiler. Melt over medium heat and stir together until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the carrier oil of choice and essential oils.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for an hour or two. To speed the process, you can place the covered bowl in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. You want the mixture to look thick but soft, sort of like softened butter.
- Once the mixture is at the right consistency, remove from fridge. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until fluffy, about 5 minutes or so. Transfer to sealable glass or plastic containers.
This lotion keeps well for about a week. It will keep longer in the fridge or a cool room. Because there is no preservative, it will spoil, so keep an eye on it. This is a more oily lotion, so don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t absorb right away. Just give it a few minutes and your skin will soak in all the nourishing goodness.